Here is a detailed PhD. Thesis titled “ Development of sadir in the court of Raja Serfoji-II (1798-1832) of Tanjore” submitted to the University of Hyderabad by Radhika V.S, under the supervision of Nataraja Ramakrishna in the year 1996.
The content of the thesis is as follows:-
- Preliminary: (Includes Contents).. Download here
- Chapter 1 (Itroduction,The Colas, Nayaks,the Maratas of Tanjore, Significance, objectives and Scope of Study). Download Here
- Chapter 2( Raja Serfoji II- and his patronage to the development of Art, includes information on Sarawathi Mahal Library, Serfoji II, Music, Dance, Bhagavatamela Nataka, Rules for Court dancers and Nattuvanars etc.). Download Here
- Chapter 3 Development of Technique and Format of Sadir (Includes a comparitive study of the adavus in Sangita Saramrita with the current practice, Nirupanas, systematization by the Tanjore Quartet) Download here
- Chapter 4 Contribution of Court Composers and Musicians (A detailed study on the Tanjore Quartet). Download here
- Chapter 5 Last Phase of Royal Patronage for Sadir at Tanjore.(Includes a write up on present day scenario and some intersting appendix including a Shapdam on serfoji II, Nirupana text by Serfoji and Interview schedules administered to prince tulajendra Raj Saheb, Guru Kitappa Pillai and Smt. Tilakam, a descendant of the devadasi tradition) Download here
It must be noted these are huge PDF files and take a while to download and showup. Dont be worried if the links dont immediately show up on your screen!