Well, numerical concepts have long been dealt with by choreographers. But recently, Sangeeth Natak Academi organised a Festival of Dances entitled “Nritya Sanrachna” in Hyderabad. The festival, which presented several dance forms of India, was conducted at Ravindra Bharathi from 21st to 25th of July 2008.
Kutcheribuzz says “The dances were choreographed based on numbers, or Sankhya Yoga, for which India is renowned from ancient times.”
Here’s a look at the number, the concept and the choreographer
- 10- Dasavataram-Bharathai Shivaji (Mohiniattam)
- 9-Navarasa-Dr. Ananda Shankar Jayant(Bharathanatyam)
- 8-Astanayika – Singhajit Singh (Manipuri)
- 7-Sapta Aavartathe seven movements or orbits) – Prerana Shrimali from Delhi (Kathak)
- 6- “Shatrutu” (the six seasons) by Swapna Sundari in Vilasini Natyam
- 5- Pancha Bhootas- contemporary performance by Anita Ratnam
- 4-Chaturvedas-Rajashree Shirke (Kathak)
- 3-Trimoorthi-Shashdhar Acharya (Chhau)
- 2-Dwaitam-Radha and Raja Reddy(Kuchipudi)
- 1-Advaitam-Dr.Padma Subrahmanyam (Bharathanrityam)
- 0-Shoonya-Sonal Mansingh (Odissi)
The programme was co-sponsored by the Department of Culture of A.P. Government and Shankarananda Kalakshetra of Hyderabad. Ananda Shankar Jayant coordinated the entire event.
Read the whole article here